Before you can begin using Certify, you will need to configure Certify for your company. Once the steps below have been completed, your users can begin using Certify to create and submit expense reports.
Step 1: Add Departments
In Certify, each user must be assigned to a department. When an expense is created, the expense line will default to the user's assigned department.
To add Departments you will need:
- A list of Department Names
- A list of Department General Ledger Codes, if applicable
Step 2: Add Categories
Categories are your company-defined descriptions of expense types. The categories you add to Certify should be the same as the categories you use in your general ledger accounting system.
To add Categories you will need:
- A list of Category Names
- A list of Category account GL Codes, if applicable
Step 3: Add Policy Settings
We recommend adding your company's Travel & Expense policy documents to Certify so that your employees can access your policy at any time when creating their expense reports.
Policy settings you can configure include:
- Your company's Travel & Expense policy documents
- Receipt requirement adjustments
- Submission requirements setup
- An Approval Workflow
- A ReportExecutive schedule
Step 4: Set Mileage Reimbursement Rates
Certify uses the official U.S. IRS rate for mileage. If the IRS formally changes the mileage rate, Certify automatically updates the system with the new rate. Alternatively, you can customize and adjust your company's mileage reimbursement rate(s) in Certify at any time.
To set Mileage Reimbursement Rates you will need:
- Your company's current reimbursement rate(s)
Step 5: Create General Ledger Dimensions
Custom fields in Certify are managed by General Ledger Dimensions. These allow you to create custom field values for employees to use while building an expense report, and will also be available for employees to use on the Certify Mobile application.
Certify offers three types of custom fields:
- Employee General Ledger Dimensions
- Expense Report General Ledger Dimensions
- Expense Level Free-Text General Ledger Dimensions
Step 6: Add Users
Once you have completed configurations for your Certify account, you can add new users. You can either add users individually, or use the bulk upload tool to upload your all of the users at once. New users will automatically receive a "Welcome Email" from Certify with their Certify username and temporary password.
To add Users you will need:
- The user's First Name and Last Name
- The user's Email address
- The user's Employee ID (if applicable)
- The user's Role within Certify (Employee, Manager, Executive, Accountant)
- The user's Department
- The user's Approver and Accountant (Locked Approval Workflow only)