Creating and Managing Data Interchanges
Certify is pleased to announce that administrators can now create and edit their own inbound data interchanges. Inbound data interchanges are used to import data, often from other software vendors (ex. HRIS systems), to Certify. Interchanges will pick up files from a company’s SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol) directory, and will import data from those files to Certify on a selected schedule.
The tool allows administrators to create the following inbound interchanges:
- Employee GLD
- Expense Report GLD
Navigating to the Tool
- Click the Gear icon at the top right of the Certify home page:
- Click the Manage Data Interchanges link in the System Integrations card.
- Click the ‘Create New Interchange’ button at the top right of the screen:
Creating an Interchange
Select the Interchange Type and enter a Name for the interchange. Next fill out the appropriate values in Interchange Key and Notification Email fields.
Please Note: When checked, the ‘deactivate absents’ option will cause values not present in an inbound file to be deactivated in Certify.
Click the Continue button to progress to SFTP Configuration, and select the SFTP directory this interchange will be placed in.
Next, indicate the File Pattern that should be picked up by this interchange. The File Pattern dictates which files will be picked up by this interchange, from the SFTP directory selected. The following File Patterns are available:
- Starts With: File names with matching characters at the start will be picked up.
- Ends With: File names with matching characters at the end will be picked up.
- Contains: File names with matching characters anywhere in the name will be picked up.
- Exact Match: Only file names exactly matching the characters specified will be picked up.
Continue the Interchange setup, and click Choose File to select a sample file. Indicate whether the file has headers or not: This will result in the below Mapping table populating file headers or example values.
Choose which fields from the file correspond to fields in Certify by using the dropdown menu pictured. Please Note: Unmapped columns will not be imported in the sync.
Click the Save button at the bottom of the screen when you’ve completed all data mapping. The new interchange will appear on the Manage Data Interchanges page.
Please Note: This interchange will not be scheduled - instructions to set a schedule can be found here.
Editing an Existing Interchange
On the Manage Data Interchanges page, click the three-dot menu icon and select Edit Settings from the dropdown.
You’ll be dropped onto the Edit page - click around to edit as in the creation process, and click the ‘Save’ button at the bottom of the screen when finished.
- All data interchanges will pick up the oldest matching file (by File Pattern) first.
- Syncs not created using this tool will not be editable using this tool.
- When setting up a User Sync and mapping a file field to the ‘Employee Role’ Certify field, additional action is required. You’ll notice an ‘Additional attribute needed’ annotation on the row in question:
Click ‘Additional attribute needed’ to pull up the Attributes drawer:
In the drawer, detail what each role is represented in the file, and click Save when finished.