A Purchase Order is a document that formally orders goods and services or confirms the approval of a Purchase Requisition. The Purchase Order will be used to complete the purchase process, or will go to the Vendor dependent on your company's terms.
This article will show you, a Purchasing Submitter, how to place a Purchase Order.
Step 1: On your Certify Purchasing homepage, click the Purchasing tab.
Step 2: From here, click Go to Purchasing.
Step 3: This is your Purchasing dashboard. Click Generate Purchase Orders under the Tasks column.
Step 4: There are step-by-step instructions at the top of the Generate Purchase Orders page that will help you stay on track. First, choose if you want to group your items:
- By Vendor: Combines all items that share a common vendor and groups them to become one purchase order.
- By Requisition: Keeps all items together on their respective requisitions and will result in individual purchase orders for each vendor represented on the requisition.
- By Vendor/Bill to Department: This will separate the items into separate purchase orders if they have separate Bill To addresses associated with them.
Step 5: Depending on your organization's configurations, you may be able to Edit individual items before submitting. To do so, click the pencil icon.
Step 6: Edit the details about the product here, including Quantity, Department, GL Account, and Project.
Step 7: If you'd like to replace this item with a different item, you can also do that from this page. Type your search criteria, and click Search.
Step 8: To add the item directly to your purchase order and delete the old item, click the green plus icon.
Step 9: The new item has now replaced the old one. Click Save Changes.
Please Note: When making changes on this page, depending on your organization's settings your approver may need to re-approve the requisition before you can generate a purchase order. If that is necessary, you will see a pop-up stating this when you click Save Changes.
Step 10: Click Back to go back to the Generate Purchase Order screen.
Step 11: Enter optional comments you'd like to make visible to the vendor.
Step 12: When you're ready to generate a purchase order, click the checkbox on the right side of the requisitions.
Step 13: Click Generate Purchase Orders to complete.
Step 14: Click OK.
Step 15: You'll be brought to the Place Purchase Orders page where you can see the individual purchase orders you've generated.
Step 16: To place purchase orders, there are four methods to choose from:
- Print: This link allows you to print out a copy of the purchase order. After printing, you can continue to place your purchase order by fax or email.
- Fax: This link allows you to fax an electronic copy of your purchase order to your vendor if they have an available fax number.
- Email: This link allows you to email an electronic copy of your purchase order to your vendor if they have an available email address.
- Punchout: This link is only available for online vendor purchase orders. When clicked, it will send an electronic order to their website.
Step 17: Once you've placed a purchase order using one of the four methods, you'll receive confirmation at the top of the screen.